More and more businesses are seeking to reach customers and prospects using social media.
The options are almost mind numbing (and can be endlessly time consuming)… Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, Google+… you name it.
So what mistakes do you need to avoid? Here are just a few:
- Not posting with sufficient regularity. If your hope is to become top of mind – poorly managed pages with infrequent posts are to be avoided.
- Posting content of poor quality. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, kills a social media campaign faster than lousy content. Remember – whenever you can – help – don’t sell. And remember to write great headlines and use great photos often.
- Forgetting to give your company or brand a personality. Don’t be boring. Use social media to give people a real feel for who you are.
- Focusing too much on getting a bazillion fans – without focusing on acquiring fans of value – fans that care about your area of expertise or your product.
- Trying to cover too many social media bases and failing to do anything well.
- Posting and walking away. Social media is interactive. Don’t just post content and then walk away. Respond quickly to comments from your fans and followers. Make them feel welcome.
Managing digital platforms is hard work but in the end can really impact your marketing and sales efforts. But it requires expertise. And great content… content that stays anchored to sound strategy.