Want to improve your website for better search engine results? Here are some steps to consider:
Start with a complete site audit and make sure it’s well organized and free of technical issues.
- Use a site crawler, such as Xenu Link Sleuth or other tools and get a list of URLs, title information, link information and other data.
- Check to make sure each page has a unique title tag of appropriate length. Make them click-worthy
- See if you have any broken links
- Crawl robots txt and hand-check. It’s amazing how easy it is to disrupt crawling with a robots.txt file
- Make sure each page has a well written and properly optimized meta-description
- Make sure your site has a site map
- Make sure you seek quality backlinks and use internal links well
- Make sure to add visible social sharing buttons
- Check your site speed. A slow loading site can really hurt
A good search engine result position, particularly one that places you above the fold, is a much coveted position – one that can improve the number of visitors you receive 10-fold or more. In fact, several studies have shown that over 90% of all searchers never get beyond page one results with as much as 70% of the clicks going to the top three search results.
Bottom line – do the work and keep after improvements to your site and you’ll reap big rewards.