Do you want your organization to remain competitive in the years to come? If you answered yes – then mastering the tools of internet marketing is absolutely essential. Stumble in areas of website design, SEO, content marketing, analytics, PPC, and social media – and you can say goodbye to your future.
Nope – that’s not an exaggeration. Not even close…
So – you say it’s time to tune up your website. Let’s look at that process from Google’s perspective. What matters most?
- Is your site responsive? Hmmmm. Not sure what that means? This one is the 800 pound gorilla in the room – so let me explain. A responsive site is one that provides an optimal viewing experience—easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices (from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors). If your site is not responsive – does not provide a great viewing experience across devices – Google is going to begin punishing your business by dropping you in the ranks of search results. And that my friend will prove fatal.
- Make sure your site clearly and simply communicates what you do.
- Site navigation a little unclear? Fix it… Your navigation needs to have a clear hierarchy and include text links.
- Make sure your site has a Sitemap. Google will reward you.
- Do you know the terms people commonly use to search for services or products like yours? If your answer is no – do some keyword research to find out. And then make sure you use those words in a well written way in the content of your website.
- Check site and page load times. Google will reward you and your site’s bounce rate will go down (that is a very good thing).
One last word of warning. When doing a full website redesign – be very careful about changing URL structure. If not handled correctly – you can adversely and dramatically affect search results.